A free concert that attracted thousands at Houston Discovery Green Park on Friday officially launched the the French Cultures Festival and will again dominate the festival’s program this year. But beyond French Tech Club and French artists at South by Southwest, a lot is also happening in Austin:
As the main French organization in Austin, Alliance française d’Austin organizes most of the events. Beyond a family dinner at Central Market on March 1st, their monthly apéritif (the first Wednesday of the month) and pétanque games (the second and fourth Friday of each month), this year they have:
– a Loire Valley themed wine tasting in partnership with the Austin/Angers sister cities committee this Tuesday at 6PM at Twin Liquors @ Hancock shopping center,
– a bus tour to the Houston Museum of Fine Arts in order to visit the Age of Impressionism and Georges Braque exhibits on March 15,
– an event in conjunction with their monthly Salon de Conversation on March 20 (which is the Intergovernmental Organization of French-speaking nations‘ 43rd anniversary and the international day of the francophonie)
– a French poetry and prose reading over dessert and coffee at Artisan Bistro on March 22nd,
– and a French movie night at the Austin Jewish Film Festival on March 31st.
You can find the details of all these events in French In Austin’s calendar.
Another major French culture advocate in Austin is the Heart of Texas Pétanque Club that has planned, on top of its weekly pétanque games around town, its main yearly tournament on March 15 and 16.
It will be the 6th edition fo this double tournament organized both at Mueller Browning Hangar in the Mueller Development (on Saturday March 15th) and at Zaytouna Lounge hookah bar on North Lamar (on Sunday March 16th) with food sponsoring from Central Market, Chez Nous Bistro AND La Madeleine Country French Cafe (should be yummy and pretty authentic!).
The club promises an “extravaganza of pétanque” and “un grand repas de fête”. So even if you don’t feel ready to compete, you should go check it out. “Spectators are welcome,” encourages the club.
The Austin/Angers sister cities committee will take advantage of that celebration to indroduce its program to the hundreds francophiles gathered for pétanque during the tournament’s apéritif on March 15, around noon.
On top of taking part to the Alliance française d’Austin’s wine tasting and the Heart of Texas Pétanque Club’s apéritif, the new twinning committee supports Austin Angers Music‘s presence at South by Southwest, at the French Tech Club, as well as at Levitation Austin‘s day party and showcase presented by Austin Angers Music’s partner Austin Psych Fest on Thursday March 13.
Finally, Austin’s French-speaking welcome, Austin Accueil, will have its regular Café accueil on March 25.This article has been edited to correct the date of the Alliance française’s wine tasting, that has been moved from Tuesday to Wednesday.